Winter Ice Melting Products
Ice melting products work best when applied before the snow starts falling. Melting temperatures are approximate and can vary.
Listed below are some of the products that can be used to melt ice:
- Mag Ice – Magnesium Chloride (50 lb.) – Not as abrasive to concrete, metal, etc., as salt products. Safe around people livestock and pets. Good low temperature melting product. (down to -13°)
- Calcium Chloride (50 lb.) – Used for low temperature ice melting – very corrosive to concrete, harmful to grass, other metal surfaces. (down to -25°)
- Halite, Solar Salt Crystals, Solar Salt Pellets – (25/50/80 lb. bags) – Rock salt labeled for ice melting – corrosive to concrete – harmful to grass and other metal surfaces. (+20°)
- Livestock Plain White Salt (25/50/80 lb. bags) – Sodium Chloride – corrosive to concrete, harmful to grass and other metal surfaces. (+20°)
- 46-0-0 – Urea Fertilizer (50 lb. and bulk) – Not harmful to grass, less corrosive than calcium chloride. (+20°)
- 5-10-10 and 10-10-10 Fertilizer (50 lb. and bulk) – Not as good a low temperature melting product as salt based products, can be beneficial to grass. (+25°)
- 33-0-0 – Ammonium Nitrate (50 lb. and bulk) – Better low temperature melter than 5-10-10 and 10-10-10 – not harmful to grass. (+20°)
- 0-0-60 – Potash (50 lb. or bulk) – Not harmful to grass (+25°)
- 0-46-0 – Triple Super Phosphate (50 lb. or bulk) – Not harmful to grass.